Get 6 Star House Energy Rating Reports in Australia
Providing Accurate Report and Quick Assessment
Superior Energy Rating provides a widely recognised 6 Star energy rating report at a highly competitive price to the Australian homeowners. The main objective of our service is to provide you with necessary instructions and a complete report that ensures that your home is comfortable, uses the minimum amount of energy, and is fully complient with state requirements. You will get the proper energy efficiency audit to your plan without making any big fuss.
Our working process is fairly simple and straightforward, as illustrated below:
Why Choose Superior Energy Rating?
By working with us you'll get an absolutely reliable home energy assessment service. Whether you're planning for a new project or a renovation work, we provide you with a quick and correct report that is well-recognised in all over Australia.
By taking our professional home energy audit, you’ll get:
- A report that comes with necessary certificates, stamps, and specifications that are required to get the building permit approval
- Quick delivery without making any fuss
- At a highly competitive and cheaper rate
- Fast turnaround on reports and quotes
- A reliable service from our expert energy assessors who are fully accredited by BDAV and highly experienced in using NatHERS software
- Valuable advice and assistance which will help you to improve your overall plan
- A valid energy rating report that can be used in all states and territories Australia wide
We are specifically providing this service for:
- New Homes
- House Extensions & Alterations
- Units & Developments
- Apartment Buildings
- Dual Occupancies
A Quick Guide on 6 Star Energy Rating in Australia
- What is 6 Star Energy Rating?
- Why do you need it?
- How to Make Your Home 6 Star Compliant?
- How is the 6 Star energy rating assessed?
- What is assessed for a 6 star energy rating?
- FAQ: 6 star energy rating
HERS (Home Energy Rating System) index indicates the thermal performance of your house. This rating describes the amount of energy needed to maintain a comfortable temperature at home. Having a higher HERS index indicate that the indoor temperature of your home is comfortable and requires a minimum amount of energy. The less energy the home requires, the higher will be its star rating.
In Australia, NatHERS (Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme) is the star rating system that rates the energy efficiency of a home, based on the design and other parameters. It provides a software that estimates a home’s potential energy use. This rating helps people understand how much energy their home is using for heating and cooling purpose, so that they can make smart choices to save annual energy bills. In most states of Australia, a NatHERS 6 star energy rating is the minimum requirement your home should meet to get the building permit.
We, at Superior Energy Rating, use NatHERS software to provide the house energy efficiency report and the star rating.
Check out this explainer video to know more about NatHERS:
The answer is simple; to ensure a comfortable and environment-friendly living.
A six star rated home assure that it has a proper temperature control, is it more energy efficient, and in the process saving annual energy bills for the dwellers. Besides, it is a mandatory requirement to get building permit (be that new of renovation/extension) in major states (like VIC, WA, NSW) of in Australia, and becoming a common feature in other states as well.
Apart from saving up your annual energy bills, a home with a minimum 6 star energy rating brings more positive changes in your lifestyle. An energy efficient house can be up to 5 degree Celsius warmer in the winter and 10 degree Celsius cooler during summer, improving the overall quality of your life.
To achieve a 6 star housing, first, you need to hire a professional assessor to evaluate the house plan and all the necessary documents. It’s highly recommended for your assessors to have proper training and industry certification. There are two organisations qualified by NatHERS that provide accreditation to independent businesses. They are Building Designers Association of Victoria (BDAV, based in Melbourne) and Australian Building Sustainability Association Assessors (ABSA, based in Sydney).
Some general concepts are as follows:
- Keep the size of the room in mind; the bigger the room, the more complicated it becomes to achieve a higher ranking.
- Place less frequently habituated rooms (laundries, bathrooms) to the east and west, bedrooms to south and living or dining rooms to the north.
- Place more windows on the north side and reduce the number on the other three sides. Also, plan proper shading for the windows; you might want to consider for double-glazing.
- Consider wall cavity insulation, targeted to the east and west facing walls. Install floor tiles to living areas too.
- Ensure your lighting is energy efficient - use sensors if need be.
- Utilise ceiling fans. Studies show, rooms with ceiling fans use air conditioners up to 20% less frequently.
- Most importantly, take into consideration your home’s geographical location. Different climate zones require different techniques to ensure better energy efficiency.
Your building must be assessed by the NatHERS rating system to achieve a minimum of 6 star rating. NatHERS is a performance-based rating system that measures the thermal performance of a house, administered by the Department of the Environment and Energy of the Australian Government.
Government authorities that overlook the NatHERS rating system in Australian states are as follows:
- VIC - Sustainability Victoria
- NSW - BASIX/Department of Industry Resources and Energy
- WA - WA Building Commission
- NT - Department of Lands Planning and the Environment
- SA - Department of Planning, Transport & Infrastructure
- ACT - ACT Planning Land Authority
- TAS - Department of Justice
If you use some other verification methods, your house may qualify as an energy efficient house but will not achieve a Six Star Energy Rating.
Some factors need to be considered to achieve a 6-star energy rating. Based on your plan, an assessor will model your house using NatHERS software to determine whether it's energy efficient or not. The software will provide the energy rating by calculating how much energy your house will require in a year to maintain a comfortable temperature.
Things you need to consider:
- Location of your house (climate zone)
- Raw material to build the house
- Window size and location
- Wall & roof colour
- Floor covering
- Ceiling fans
What do the stars represent in 6 Star energy rating?
The stars indicate how energy efficiency is your house. Ranging from 0 to 10 stars, where a 0 star means your house does nothing to reduce the discomfort in temperate, be that in hot or cold weather, and thus labelled as energy inefficient. On the other hand, a 10 star means that your house does not need any artificial heating or cooling, thus labelled as totally energy efficient. A 6 star means the house is good energy efficient, though not outstanding.
In short, the more NatHERS star rating your house gets, the less energy it requires artificially.
How much does a NatHERS certificate cost?
The cost of NatHERS certification will highly depend on the expertise of your builder, and the size and complexity of your project. It is a good idea to consider the energy efficiency in the early stages of planning as it could cost even less. Any attempt to alter an existing unsatisfactory design is not only costly but may provide additional setbacks.
How long will it take?
At Superior Energy Rating, we strive to provide fast turnaround time. It takes us around 3-16 hours to complete a report. From the acceptance of our quotation to completion of the energy rating report may take around 3 working days.
What information do I need to provide?
To get the house energy rating report, you need to provide a PDF copy or hard copy of the detailed plan, containing:
- Site plans
- Floor plans
- Window schedule (existing & new)
Who can perform an energy rating?
Any professional audit with appropriate training and certified by NatHERS can perform an energy rating audit. Auditors can be accredited or non-accredited by the Assessor Accrediting Organisations (AAOs). But, it doesn’t matter. As long as the assessors have necessary qualification, they can perform energy rating assessment.
Do I need an energy rating for a renovation or extension?
Whether you are building a new home, renovating it and planning to extend it, you will need an energy rating from a certified assessor.
How exactly does Superior Energy Rating help me to get one?
Superior Energy Rating will guide you through the process and provide you with the necessary documentation for compliance fast and efficiently.